Living Local. Building Communities.


Assessment of applications and how we determine housing need

How will my application be assessed?


Your application will be assessed to determine if you meet the eligibility criteria and you will be advised of this in writing. 

Accepted applications are then reviewed as properties become available.  Income details are requested every year for review. If there is no reply or you become ineligible you will be removed from our register.

How do you determine housing need?

As an affordable housing provider, our focus is to provide access to housing that is within the means of low to moderate income earners. Our priority is to match working households with affordable housing thereby enabling them to sustain employment.

Allocations are made taking into consideration CWH target income band objectives, the date the application was recieved and the identified requirements of the household. 

What type of housing Is available?

City West Housing currently has 727 properties, which are predominantly a mix of one, two and three bedroom units.

All our properties are located within the Sydney of Sydney Local Government Area. We currently cover the geographic areas of Pyrmont, Ultimo and Green Square, North Eveleigh and Zetland.

How much rent will I pay?

In line with City West Housing’s rent policy, your rent amount will be calculated as the household contribution towards market rent based on gross household income. Contributions are set between 25% and 30% of gross household income, depending on which income band you fall into.

Household contribution levels are reviewed on a regular basis to take account of changes to your income. The amount you pay will increase or decrease in accordance with a rise or fall in your household’s gross income and in line with City West Housing’s rent policy.

Do I need to pay a bond?

Yes, the bond required is equal to 4 weeks rent.

How long will I wait before I am housed?

City West Housing does not operate a waiting list. Properties are allocated based on housing need and a percentage of people are housed from each of our three income groups. It is therefore not possible to say how long any applicant may wait before they are offered a property.

It is important to recognise, however, that eligible applicants are not guaranteed housing. There are always a higher number of applicants than accommodation available.

How many offers will I receive?

Applicants will receive one reasonable offer of housing. A ‘reasonable offer of housing’ is one that takes into account all the applicant’s housing requirements considered during the application assessment process. 

A refusal of a reasonable offer of housing will result in your application being withdrawn.

What size property will I be eligible for?

The standard bedroom entitlements for City West Housing properties are:

  • SINGLE PEOPLE - studio or one bedroom
  • COUPLES - one bedroom

Children over 18 years of age are considered to be an adult and a separate bedroom will be allocated. Same sex children up to 18 years of age are expected to share a bedroom, whilst male and female children are expected to share a bedroom until one of the children reaches 10 years of age.

If you have shared custody, the child/children are considered to be part of the household if you have custody of the children for 3 days per week or more. If you have custody of the children for 3 days per week or more normal bedroom entitlements apply.

More information on City West Housing’s standard bedroom entitlements is outlined under the Tenancy services page.

Is there car parking available?

Car parking availability is unique to each of City West Housing’s buildings. Many of our buildings have some parking but it is limited. 


Expression of interest information

An Expression of Interest form is available for download. Please check whether you are eligible to join our register before applying. 

Please submit your application with all required supporting documentation to 

Alternative housing options

City West Housing encourages applicants to explore all their housing options. It is important to remember that City West Housing cannot guarantee housing, even to those who are eligible to join our register, and that often a lengthy wait is involved. You may wish to explore your housing options with Housing Pathways. Housing Pathways is a common housing register comprising of 25 participating community housing providers and Housing NSW across the Sydney Region. For more information on Housing Pathways you can:

  • Contact your local Housing NSW office or participating community housing provider
  • Call 1300 HOUSING (1300 468 746)
  • Visit the Housing Pathways website 

Alternatively use the links following to find further information about:


City West Housing does not provide crisis accommodation.

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, you may wish to contact Link2home which is a state wide homelessness information and referral telephone service. The service provides information, conducts assessments, as well as makes referrals to homelessness services across NSW.

Link2home is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year on 1800 152 152.