Your rent

City West Housing is committed to providing long-term, secure and affordable housing.

Residents typically pay a percentage of their gross household income towards rent. Generally, this will be 25%, 27.5% or 30% of your income. See our Rent Policy for more information.

Changes in circumstances

We understand that your income or circumstances may change. You must advise us of any changes to your situation as soon as possible and within 21 days.

If you do not advise us of these changes, you could be paying the incorrect rent and you may incur a debt which will need to be paid back.

Please advise us of the changes to your income or household listed below and provide documentation.

8 changes to your circumstances we need to know about:

  • You or a household member stops working

We need a separation certificate or a letter from the employer, or confirmation of the new income, for example an income statement from Centrelink.

  • You or a household member starts work or a new job

We need the most recent pay slip if it has a year-to-date figure and evidence of the employment start date.

  • There is a new household member

We need proof of their income (such as pay slips or an income statement from Centrelink), proof of identity and proof of citizenship.

  • There is a new addition to your household: a baby!

We need a copy of the birth certificate

  • A household member leaves

We need documentation of their alternative housing.

  • You or a household member’s work hours or pay rate changes

We need pay slips confirming the new hours or rate.

  • A Centrelink benefit changes for any reason

We need an up-to-date income statement.

  • A child turns 18

We need proof of their income, such as pay slips or an income statement from Centrelink.

You can change your details by logging into the Residential Portal to access online forms to update your information or inform us of a change in your circumstances. Alternatively, you can contact us and we will send you a form to complete.

Please refer to our Rent Policy for more information.

If you’re struggling to pay your rent, help is available. Sign up for FREE, non-judgmental, confidential, one-to-one financial skills coaching with Good Shepherd.

Follow Us On


Do you want to hear the latest news from City West Housing? Subscribe to our CWH Connect newsletter.


Our office is open 8 am - 4 pm Monday to Friday.
Please make an appointment if you wish to meet with your Housing Manager.